First, I gathered my supplies. Here, the participants are black paint, paint brush, MDF plaque (someone custom-made it for me who advertised on Craigslist... they ended up giving it to me for free when they heard I just had a baby!), and sandpaper.
I sanded the MDF a little to get it smooth and then brushed off the dust.
Then, I started painting! I had this paint lying around from when I painted my dresser and headboard. I didn't paint the middle of the plaque because hey, I was going to cover it anyway!
After it dried for a while, I turned it over and had my daughter help me paint. I figured if I ever wanted it to be displayed on an easel or something instead of hanging on the wall, I better be prepared.
After the paint dried (and I moved and went on vacation) I got to the fun part. This is a print of the Mesa LDS Temple from my awesome photographer uncle. He gave it to me one night when we were over for dinner. Thanks, Uncle Bruce!
The participants in this part of the project were Mod Podge, a sponge brush, and a credit card. I hadn't pulled the card out of my wallet yet :).
A little bit at a time, I applied Mod Podge to the back of the print and stuck it to the MDF board. I then used the card to push out any air bubbles that formed under the print. No one wants a bubbly picture!
I just kept going, slow and steady...
...Until I was done. Then I let it dry for a while and played with my cute new baby. After it was dry (I guess both baby and print...), I put a layer of Mod Podge on the top to seal the print to the MDF.