The original mobile idea was to attach them to little branches so you get the whole nature feel to it. Since the baby room in our apartment has no other nature theme to it, I decided to forego the branches and just use some monofilament thread to hang them from some painted embroidery hoops. I just painted them the same time I painted my pegboard. I told you I've been working on this for a while!
I also put a seam down the back so I could insert a tab for the monofilament to go through. I did three without the tab because I wanted them to sit on top of the hoops.
They sure are a colorful bunch! I stuffed the tails so they look less... real? And so they can be nice toys later in their lives when the babe is too big for a mobile.
We had some play time with the birdies before we strung them on the hoops. My baby girl (yes, she's a girl although she has a green blanket, yellow onesie, and is in a brown swing.) cried right after I took the picture. Funny girl!
It took a little manuevering to get it on the hoops right... I ended up hot glueing the thread to the hoops because they would come untied. Not a good thing for hanging over the crib! I am considering putting a ribbon on the inside of the hoops to hide the hot glue. But I have had this thing sitting around for so long, it needed to be hung.
My husband found some fancy screw in his messy stash of tools and hardware and we just looped the string to hang from it.
My baby girl loves to look at it now. No crying! It gives me those 3 extra minutes of sleep in the morning :). I love how it is so colorful! And it looks great over the beautiful crib I got for $45 off of Craigslist. Yeah, I know. And, my husband is so happy I finished something. With his help, of course. Hooray!
My other "slim-stash" project I am working on right now involves yards and yards and yards of fabric, so it iwill make a huge dent when I'm done. I am making drapery panels for my bedroom. It will be a while before I post that, but stay tuned- I'm excited!