I have always loved wonky star quilts. They are traditional in a sense, but then once you throw a little “wonk” in it, it becomes fun, modern, and whimsical. I really wanted to try it out, so I picked this pattern for the quilt for Karali. I had wanted to get it done by her baby shower, but my life is SO CRAZY BUSY, I had to throw in the towel for that goal. My new goal was to get it to Karali before Christmas! Amazingly enough, I did it! :)
I had all the front fabrics already, but I was really worrying over the backing. The only real yardage I had was blue (surprise surprise) and it was really girly. Her nursery colors are gray and green, so I wanted to have one of those colors as the focus on the back side. Well, a recent trip to the local bulk fabric store (SAS in Tempe, I think it was featured on Project Runway?) yielded several yards of the Michael Miller Ta Dot in gray. It was meant to be. But you can’t just have a back of polka-dots (though, dots are a favorite). I threw in a strip of patchwork strips made of leftovers from the stars on the front. I like how it breaks up the back!
I bound it with some Heather Bailey, and quickly snapped some photos before heading out to lunch with Karali, and to give her the quilt!
I can’t even remember what the finished size was… I do know that I used my AccuQuilt Go! Baby and the 4 1/2” HST triangle die to help with the stars. I love that little machine. Anyway, I think that makes each block about 12” square, so I’d venture to say it was a 48” square quilt. I love this size for babies; it is perfect to lay on the floor so they can play, but not get in the way of everyone and everything.
I am busily working on another quilt right now, but I have a few other handmade Christmas gifts to share soon! That is the problem with being a sewing blogger… I make lots of things I can’t share until after the fact :)
See you soon!